Wednesday 7 September 2011

Why 50 Things to do before you die?

The guy who drove up Snowdon said it was one of the 50 things he wanted to do before he died. I'm not sure if it was just drive up a mountain or specifically drive up Snowdon, although why is eluding me altogether. I can't see the excitement in it, I can't see the challenge or the point. It's a pretty dull thing to want to do as far as I'm concerned, let's drive uphill for a bit off-road. Another tick off the list.

I'm not a fan of these lists anyway. Mostly they're done by adrenaline junkies, or some real idiots who want to show off about the things they've done, like bungee jumping in New Zealand - the question would be why make a suicidal leap without the commitment to the afterlife? Or the places you simply MUST visit, like Machu Picchu, I'm sure it's a fantastic site but it's in Peru, not likely to happen, and likely to be disappointing after the build up it's had over the last few years.

I don't really like people telling me what to do, or where to go, which may be something to do with this, but these kind of lists do really annoy me. It's putting your life down to a tick in a box, yes, done that, next hugely important thing I must do before I die as I've been told my life is incomplete unless I've been attacked by a bull in Pamplona or gone heli-skiing in the Alps. And suddenly everyone has to have a list, and you can't move on, or actually live your life and see what happens, as everything must be geared towards the next tickbox on your list, the next life-changing experience that you simply must do as otherwise you're not a whole human being.

Personally I just take things as they come, I will never go bungee jumping (I don't trust my life to a bit of rubber and some nutcase tying a knot). I'll visit where I want to go, not where you've decided is cool, or massively important and must be seen. I'll do the things I enjoy, and I'll make my own choices thanks. And I'll never drive a car up a Mountain. Because I don't see the point. Driving it round the Nurburgring would be a different matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment