Wednesday 7 December 2011

Matthew Wright

If you need the context of what this is about you can find it here. To summarise a 16 year old was killed here recently, 20 minutes walk from where I live. Matthew Wright and guests decided it's a subject for jokes. I tend not to object too much when someone makes a poor taste joke, generally I'll defend them if pushed into it. Free speech and all that stuff, but this wasn't something you can even try to defend. This wasn't even in poor taste, it was incredibly insensitive, it was wrong to deal with it in that way. The issue I think is that some people, including Matthew Wright, don't entirely see it that way.

I didn't know Liam Aitchison, or even know of him until he was reported missing. He was less than half my age. I remember being 16, not entirely fondly but I lived through it. He wasn't allowed to. He was murdered by someone. This is not a subject for humour by any sane and normal individual.

Matthew Wright did apologise for the comments. Or at least that is what the news sites are saying. I remember reading something when Liam Fox resigned about the apology he gave, he apologised if it appeared he did wrong, but it was your fault for thinking he was in the wrong. I can't remember who wrote that piece but it's worth a read if you can find it. And that's how I read the Matthew Wright apology, you took offence, I'm obliged to say sorry to keep my job, but it is your fault for finding offence in what I said.

I've seen some comments comparing the comments to what Jeremy Clarkson said about strikers. That in my view was obviously a joke. And I've seen other comments asking would he have said that about the murder of Stephen Lawrence, and then mocked his accent the same way. Do you think he might have been condemned as racist if he'd done that? Probably. I'm not accusing him of being racist, or even anti-scottish, but it is something to consider.

The other thing that has got people annoyed was his apology, and the last comment about the group on facebook about reporting Matthew Wright to Ofcom. This does show, in my view, how he was less than serious about the apology, as it was a crass thing to say at best, and shows him up. He wanted the publicity, now he has it. He may have been right about campaigns on facebook though. That kind of thing is what the Daily Mail at it's worst would do, shout about sacking people, or campaign against someone who has said something stupid, or offensive. And I don't like those. It's organised complaints, and that could be against something important, there are many people who will condemn people they disagree with that you will agree with. We all have different views after all.

I'd like to see Matthew Wright apologise properly, and recognise that it was a stupid comment. I doubt he will, but starting a campaign gives him publicity, and he should be denied that. After all, I can't remember the last thing I watched on channel 5 that wasn't football. I won't be watching him, I never did. I wouldn't have been aware of the comments but for the publicity attached to them. And so therefore we descend further.

2 comments:

  1. He was laughing about Taggart. The 'grow up' was aimed at people like you. Get a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked the wright stuff but Mathew showed a side of himself that was typical of a southern English ass!! No compassion for the boy murdered. And now being to arrogant to apologise with humility.He had to make light of his apology and in fact turn on people who want him to be reported to ofcom!! That is a dent on his EGO!! Mathew! swallow your pride and give a good explaination why you gave an apology with so little empathy!!

    ReplyDelete