Sunday 24 July 2011

I'm not Middle Aged

I turned 35 earlier this month. Someone has told me recently that this means I'm now middle aged, as this apparently last from age 35 to 55. First point, I am not middle aged, I refuse to accept this, I'm no different from when I was in my 20s, I don't want to buy a pipe and slippers. (Is that what you're meant to do when your middle aged? Actually I bought a pipe in my early 20s, but that's another story). Secondly does that make everyone over 55 old? Sure they're delighted about that if it is.

Who really makes these things up? The Middle Ages were a period of European history, they have sod all to do with how old I am. So why am I suddenly middle aged? What does it actually mean? If you ever find out let me know. A mid-life crisis might be good fun though I just can't afford to have one. So I'll get on with my life as it went before. And keep getting older, hopefully anyway, but never middle aged.

I'm not making a serious point here, although there is one somewhere, about people being pigeonholed because of their age and only their age. I've met pensioners who can act like teenagers, and are fitter than a good few, and 20 year olds acting so old to try to fit in and seem mature that they could be retired. You're as old as you feel, as old as you act, whatever people say. The only thing I feel has changed from when I was 18, really changed, is the hangovers. They stick a lot worse these days. But that's it. And it still doesn't make me middle aged.

No comments:

Post a Comment