Friday 15 July 2011

Meats Not Murder

Had a conversation on twitter recently about eating meat, and how people don't always think about meat coming from animals, and I've now remembered this story about Mark Zuckerberg stopping eating meat, except that which he killed himself.

The relevant part of that as far as I'm concerned is the bit where he says:

 "I had a pig roast at my house. A bunch of people told me that even though they loved eating pork, they really didn't want to think about the fact that the pig used to be alive."


This does annoy me, if you're not prepared to accept your meat used to be walking about, don't eat it. Give up your bacon and become a vegetarian. As you're not a meat eater. You're might like the taste, but if you're not prepared to accept that your bacon roll used to be part of a pig or that your sirloin steak comes from a cow then you shouldn't be eating it. Animals as part of the food chain has been part of human existence for about as long as we've been on the planet. You have to accept that if you want to eat meat. I accept it and if it came to it would be prepared to kill my food, I'm not likely to have to anytime soon, but if you're not why eat meat?  


Vegetarianism is an acceptable lifestyle choice these days, we shouldn't do battery farming of chickens, or any other animal to get our food, but eating meat isn't wrong in my view. Treat them properly while alive, but always remember that they were when you eat them. 


And the perfect bacon roll should be a Scottish morning roll, smoked bacon, enough to mean you have to eat 2 layers each bite, butter. No Sauce needed, but a runny egg is acceptable on occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment